Friday, July 30, 2010

I'm not surprised, but I never feel quite prepared

Photobucket

Blog day 3:

Some days time goes slow. Today while at work I'm pretty sure stopped going forward all together and started heading backwards. Needless to say it was a slow day at the studio.

When fate finally let it reach quitting time I was like a kid on the last day of school sprinting towards my car. Freedom! I was dead set on being productive today no matter the slow start.

Had some nice clouds on the way home.

Photobucket

When I got home I noticed my mom had left me a magazine from her Colorado trip to see my brother and his new baby girl.

Photobucket

Low and behold he's inside it with his wife Jenny!

Photobucket

A little closer up you can see that as brothers we share a love for rocking some truly ridiculous facial hair :)

Photobucket

After that I got down to business. I decided to take advantage of the remaining day light and try out some new paint, new spray caps and a spray clear I'd yet to try.

I keep a 'test' panel to try out new things on so I don't ruin a project in progress. If time has taught me anything it's that some paints get along, while others bubble crack and peel into a nightmare. 

So any new thoughts get tried out on this panel.

Photobucket

A plus side of it having so many things on one panel is that if i, say spray the whole thing with clear lacquer. I'll be able to see if it agrees with all the pre existing media.

Along with acrylic, spray paint, and glazes I've also used it to try out lace painting on it before tonight.

Photobucket

Here's my 'after' for tonight. The blue streak is my new paint and a small cap. I was expecting a sharper, crisper line but the small spattering created almost a glow effect I kind of like. I might be that the cap just needs "broken in" and will be sharper later so I'll have to keep that in mind later when using it. I also sprayed a single layer of clear on the panel. It seems to have agreed with everything and left a nice smooth surface but not very glossy.

Photobucket

While this was drying outside with the Mosquitos I headed to my painting studio and finished out this painting of my hands/ arms. It's watered down acrylic paint on watercolor paper. I don't know why I haven't cracked open my new set of water colors yet, probably just used to my acrylic pallet.

I took more pix along the way but I'm doing this from my phone so you get to be bored by only a small collection of them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After finishing it I cut it out of the sheet and placed it into a bubble glassed oval frame. It looks lame so no pix but it'll keep it safe until I find a better spot for it.

I like to stagger my products finishing one project and starting on the next in the same sitting so I always have a few days to get fresh eyes before I finish a piece. So tonight I started on this girl. I don't typically paint in low opacity and in layers but I thought I'd give it a shot.

This is how that went.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Alright productiveness! 

* oh! And this morning driving to work I was listening to mpr, Minnesota public radio, and they were talking with this adventure junkie who runs gearjunkie.com 

It was pretty interesting/ inspiring to me so after down loading the mpr app - I love mpr/ NPR type stations - I found the web link to today's  show you can listen to online.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/07/30/midday1/

No comments:

Post a Comment